This article was been published more than a year ago. The information may be outdated.
My employer is slowly but surely implementing Microsoft Office 2007. One of the errors we’ve encountered has been a fatal error. It seems to be caused by one of the following two things:
- Default printer driver has become corrupted.
- Normal template has become corrupted.
To fix this problem, try the following, in order:
- Switch to a different default printer. If this fixes the issue, then you must delete and reinstall your original default printer.
- Delete the Normal template.
- Windows XP: go to %userprofile%\application data\microsoft\templates and delete the normal.dot or normal.dotm file that is listed there.
- Windows Vista: go to %userprofile%\appdata\roaming\microsoft\templates and delete the normal.dot or normal.dotm that exists there.
One of those two methods should fix the issue. If it reoccurs then the problem could be related to an addin that continues to corrupt the normal template, as well as a problem with the installed software.