This article was been published more than a year ago. The information may be outdated.
I’ve recently had a few users call in, telling me that they’ve been infected with Personal Security, a rogue anti-spyware program from the same family as Cyber Security. Luckily, it’s pretty easily removed. Here’s how:
- Turn off System Restore on the infected computer
- Download and run rkill.com, which kills the processes
- Download and install Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware
- Run a full scan of the computer
- Remove all threats
- Reboot, then repeat step 4
The second search should turn up no threats at all. If it does, repeat step 2, then step 4. If a second removal run doesn’t do the trick, my advice is to reinstall the computer.