A while back, I opened a file to see what it was, then decided to move it, at which point I got a “File in use”-error, preventing me from moving, deleting or renaming the file. Luckily, there is a fairly simple solution to this problem:
I’ve written about Process Explorer before, and I still love it. It does the job, simply and effectively. The solution, then, is as follows:
- Download and run Process Explorer.
- Go to Find > Find Handle or DLL
- Enter part of the file name in the “Handle or DLL substring” search field, then click Search
- You will get a list of results like so:
- In the above picture, we see that there are three processes that are accessing the file I searched for. Finding (and ending) the corresponding processes in Process Explorer should free up the file, so that we can now move the file.