When working in a corporate environment with Active Directory, you may, from time to time, encounter computers that users cannot log on to, as they receive an error message saying:
The security database on the server does not have a computer account for this workstation trust relationship.
Though there can be several reasons for this, I have found that the quickest fix for this is to remove the computer from the doman, and then rejoin it. Here is how:
- Right-click the computer, choose Properties
- Under “Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings”, click “Change Settings”
- In the system properties dialog that pops up, click the “Change” button after “To rneame this computer or change its domain or workgroup click Change
- Toggle the radio button for Workgroup, then enter any name (we will be changing this back in a few steps anyway)
- Click OK to save the change, then reboot the computer
- Repeat steps one through three
- Toggle the radio button for Domain, then enter the domain name
- Click OK to save the changes (When prompted for a user name, use a user that has domain administrative privileges)
- Reboot the computer
If the above process does not solve the problem, delete the computer account from AD and repeat.