A while back, a user called in, complaining that he was unable to use the address bar to search, in Internet Explorer 10. He further reported that he had just upgraded from Internet Explorer 9. I originally thought it was due to problems with a plugin, so that was where I started out. After looking at all of them; enabling and enabling, restarting IE and so on, I had gotten nowhere. At all.
The next step, was to look at search settings. At this point, you might be asking why I didn’t in the first place. Yeah, I know; classic mistake. At any rate, the answer was right there in front of me. It turns out that Internet Explorer 10 has a check box to enable or disable search in the address bar. It’s called “Search in the address bar”. It was, indeed, disabled.