This article was been published more than 6months ago. The information contained herein may be outdated.
A user called in, saying that his unit had been moved to a different department, and that they had all lost access to their work folders. I knew of the change, and moved the folders to the new unit file share. That should have been it, and would have been, except for one thing; when moving folders, you do not change the permissions. As a result, the users were unable to open the folders. Luckily, this is simple enough to solve. Here’s how I did it:
- I logged on to a server, so as to have administrative privileges
- I browsed to the folder containing the work folders, right clicked on it, and opened permissions
- I went to the properties tab, and clicked the Advanced button
- In the Advanced Security Settings window, in the Security tab, I checked the box for “Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects”:
- I then clicked Apply, and let the system do the job for me
Once the job is done, the check box will automatically become unchecked.