When you work product support on a specific product, you need to have a solid grasp of how to set up the product, as well as the best practices for making things work as you want and expect. This was certainly the case for me when I worked for FotoWare. One of these best practices was not to use the Domain Users group to set permissions.
Category: User management
As much as we might want to prevent them by policies, odds are that a shared user account will be created at some point. In order to mitigate the potential issues with such accounts (lack of accountability, lack of control, account available to just about anyone to mention a few), there are a number of steps we can take, including limiting what network shares can be accessed, logon hours, and what computers the account may log on to. By default, user accounts can log on to all computers in Active Directory. This can be limited on a per-user basis. Here is how:
A few weeks ago, we looked at groups in Exchange. Sometimes, you need to be able to add external recipients, too. Here’s how we create those:
Last week, I showed you how you can create distribution groups. Those groups are relatively worthless, however, without any users added to them. How we go about doing this, depends on what console you decide to use.
Distribution Groups, commonly referred to as mailing lists, are practical tools to send email to a number of people, without having to grab each address from the address book. They are also pretty simple to create. Here is how it’s done:
A user called in, saying that his unit had been moved to a different department, and that they had all lost access to their work folders. I knew of the change, and moved the folders to the new unit file share. That should have been it, and would have been, except for one thing; when moving folders, you do not change the permissions. As a result, the users were unable to open the folders. Luckily, this is simple enough to solve. Here’s how I did it:
A user called in, and wanted to have a different address as their primary email address. After making the change, when I tried to apply it, I encountered the following error message: